Hudco IPO – Sector Uncertainties, AVOID

  • 9th May 2017 
  • Industry – Loans PSU
  • IPO Open 8-11th May at Rs. 56-60  
  • Large Cap: Rs 11,611 crore Mkt cap 
  • P/E 16.52 times and P/B 1.30 times 
  • Retail investors and employees get a discount of Rs. 2/share 
  • Advice: The IPO is rated AVOID   

Overview: HUDCO is a PSU engaged in providing loans for housing and urban infrastructure projects in India. HUDCO primarily lends to state governments and their agencies. 69% of HUDCO’s loan portfolio is in the urban infrastructure segment and the remaining 31% is in the housing finance loan segment. It’s revenues, EBITDA and PAT have grown at 4.8%, 4.2% and 6.8% CAGR over FY12-16. Revenues for FY16 were Rs. 3,350 cr. and profit Rs. 810 cr. It has 874 full time employees. 

Key risks: 1) HUDCO has weak growth in a recent environment of shortages and massive demand 2) High GNPA’s and NNPA’s 3) It’s a weak institution and performance is unpredictable. Clearly the activities are not commercially driven, so how can investment results be attractive? 4) It is far better to own a wonderful business at a fair price than a fair business at a wonderful price”. We feel that HUDCO is an average business available at a good price.

Opinion: This IPO offering is rated AVOID, and investors may look elsewhere for long term gains.

The detailed report will be attached soon for your reference.  

For full report, see LINK 


This document has been prepared by JainMatrix Investments Bangalore (JM), and is meant for use by the recipient only as information and is not for circulation. This document is not to be reported or copied or made available to others without prior permission of JM. It should not be considered or taken as an offer to sell or a solicitation to buy or sell any security. The information contained in this report has been obtained from sources that are considered to be reliable. However, JM has not independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the same. JM has no known financial interests in HUDCO or any group company. Neither JM nor any of its affiliates, its directors or its employees accepts any responsibility of whatsoever nature for the information, statements and opinion given, made available or expressed herein or for any omission therein. Recipients of this report should be aware that past performance is not necessarily a guide to future performance and value of investments can go down as well. The suitability or otherwise of any investments will depend upon the recipient’s particular circumstances and, in case of doubt, advice should be sought from an Investment Advisor. Punit Jain is a registered Research Analyst under SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations, 2014. JM has been publishing equity research reports since Nov 2012. Any questions should be directed to the director of JainMatrix Investments at